Catching and treating speech and language difficulties early is essential for a child’s optimal learning, social development and emotional health.
Services are tailored to each child’s age and abilities. Even young infants with communication development concerns can benefit from speech and language services.
Some of the services offered:
- Screen, monitor and assess communication abilities
- Develop treatment plans to identify communication goals
- Show parents how to encourage their child’s communication skills
Parents who have concerns about their child’s communication abilities can self-refer for this service. Other professionals can refer for this service with parental consent.
Refer if child:
- Does not engage in vocal play
- Shows signs of stuttering
- Does not seem responsive to sounds or other distractions
- Does not talk at all
- Shows some frustration trying to communicate
Speech Therapy is provided FREE of charge for children 0-5 years by Speech Pathologists and assistants at the following organizations:
- Abbotsford Health Unit: Public Health Speech and Hearing Clinic 604-864-3400
- Fraser Valley Child Development Centre 604-852-2686
For a complete list of local pathologists, refer to the ‘Pathologists’ section of the Yellow Pages.